Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pet Peeves

Okay. So everyone who knows me knows that I'm a pretty upbeat, positive person. But let's get real. EVERYONE has pet peeves. Even happy people. I've happen to come across three of mine just today and so I thought "Why not blog about it??" Because we all love to vent, but don't always say what we want to say because then others might think we're super negative. Or annoying. Or just plain crazy. But there is this thing about the internet. For some reason it just feels better than actually speaking (out loud) everything we want to get out. And, in our minds, its completely acceptable! Its like the internet has become this place we can dump all of our feelings, emotions, thoughts, ideas, anything. Well you my friend are in luck because that's just what I'm about to do. Pet peeves... here we go.

Pet Peeve #1
Facebook. Statuses. ...Cool. Whatever. Except when people post those "Dear" notes. Like "Dear Facebook, Stop changing the website. It's dumb and I don't like it. Love, Me" or "Dear Gym, I'm sorry I've neglected you. I hope we can still be friends! I promise I'll come see you today, k? Sincerely, Me" or "Dear Weather, Thanks for sucking today and raining. Oh and I didn't appreciate the wind either. Always, Me"
You get the picture. And if you're a FB user, chances are, you've come across some of these statuses. It was cute back when people first started doing it. But now its just annoying. Do you really think FB, or the gym, or the weather are getting the memos you're writing them?? Okay okay I know you really aren't doing it for their benefit, you're just trying to be "cutesy" in your status. Well, "Dear people who write "dear" notes as their stauses, I know you are just trying to be all cute and clever, but everyone else is doing it too. So not only is it not cute anymore, but its cliche as well. So, pretty please stop it, mm-kay? Thanks, you rock! Love Always, Heather"

Pet Peeve #2
I'm a huge fan of Pinterest. And I'm a huge fan of working out. Pinterest has a ton of great ideas for workouts, healthy eating, losing weight, etc. Love it. Except... when people post ridiculous goals from websites promising unrealistic things. One I saw today said "Thin Thighs in Thirty Days!!" with, of course, a pic of the backside of a young woman with half her butt cheeks showing pinching her pretty much non-exsistent fat on her perfect upper thighs. First of all, THIN thighs... in THIRTY days? I don't care who you are, if you don't have close to thin thighs, you're not gonna get em in 30 days. Unless you're going in for liposuction soon. That's just the truth. ThinnER maybe. And then there's the pic. First of all, that pic is probably airbrushed and the model either eats nothing, is naturally slim in all the right places, or has a TON of time to devote to the gym (it's her job to look good). And that's awesome if you want to get fitter, healthier, w/e, but for those of you who are looking at ads like that and thinking, "Yeah! I'm going to look just like that pretty soon here" then um, sorry to burst your bubble. Don't take this the wrong way - I totally believe anyone can accomplish anything they really work hard at. Really really HARD work. A few squats and lunges in one month isn't exactly going to get you ready to wear a bikini if you weren't practically there to start with. My roomate saw one that promised a loss of 12 lbs and 22 inches in 2 weeks. That is not even healthy nor probable. Except maybe if I were DREAMING. What did that person do? STOP EATING? No. And while we're on the subject, I have seen my fair share of almost naked women on Pinterest showing off their abs, or butt, or legs. I think people who repin these are trying to show the world what they hope to have one day. Okay, cool. Kind of. Only kind of because I really don't care to see that all over Pinterest, but cool because it's great to have goals. But again, how realistic is that? Out of ALL the women I know, almost none of them look like that. Even the ones who eat well and exercise. Come on. And if there's a website with a caption like "Great Cellulite Busters" or "Visit this site to get great muffin-top-be-gone exercises" or "99 diet foods" WHY do 90% of them have to feature an insanely buff or skinny almost clothes-less girl as the picture?! Not necessary.

Pet Peeve #3
I will make this one short and sweet: Celebs? Who cares? They're hot, they're famous, and some of them are talented. That's good for them but why do people OBSESS? They aren't THAT big a deal. Just people. With a lot of money and a personal trainer to make them look great. Real people are what its all about. The End.

: )

In closing, "Dear all people who read this, I'm going to go work out now so that I can get awesome abs that will probably turn into a six pack by tomorrow. Pinterest told me so. And then I'll drool over pics of Channing Tatem and then talk about it with my friends. Love, Me"

1 comment:

  1. That was very well written! I always enjoy your posts.
    Can I add one? I really dislike on fb when people say something like, "Well, I'll never do that again"! And then everyone has to ask what. Those are the dumbest posts and they are annoying.

    I'd love more posts about college life.
    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I love to laugh, work hard, and meet fun people!